Study and examination regulations of ULAP CDV UK
STUDY AND EXAMINATION regulations
Comenius University in Bratislava
Centre for Continuing Education
UNIT FOR Language and Academic Preparation
Language and Academic Preparation FOR Foreign Students AND COMPATRIOTS
Efficiency of Study Regulations
Study and Examination Regulations are obligatory for all participants in educational programmes of the Division for Language and Academic Preparation – Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots (hereinafter referred to as ILAP), Centre for Continuing Education, Comenius University (hereinafter referred to as CCE CU) in Bratislava.
ADMISSION RULES OF AT ILAP CCE CU
Admission conditions for study at ILAP CCE CU
1) Applicants enrol for all educational programmes via sending an application form completely filled out at the latest by the date of submitting the application forms.
2) In case of an application for admission for Language and Academic Preparation for University Studies and 5 month/10 month Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies to this application must be attached:
● a copy of the graduation certificate/proof of highest education level achieved
● a copy of an identification page of a passport of an applicant for the studies
● a copy of an identification page of a passport of an applicant for the studies
● a motivation letter
4) Applications are judged by the Study Department of ILAP. Together with decision on admission an applicant receives indispensable instructions and information.
5) Students who gained scholarship of The Slovak Government through Ministry of Education, Science, Research and Sport of the Slovak Republic (hereinafter referred to as MESRS SR), respective within agreements MESRS SR, are admitted by ILAP CCE CU on the basis of nomination of MESRS SR.
1) Study at the Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots is organised as full-time study by attendance form.
2) Students of full-time study participate in provided studies and their
knowledge is expanded by self-teaching.
3) The Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for foreign Students and Compatriots provides studies as follows:
a) Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots before University Studies in the Slovak Republic,
b) Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies in the Slovak Republic,
c) other educational possibilities in the field of Slovak language as a foreign language, academic subjects and Slovak culture and civilisation,
d) Testing the language competencies in Slovak as a foreign language
4) Total duration of particular study programmes is prescribed in the curriculum.
Curriculum and documents of study
1) The curriculum determines the content and extent of studies in individual study programmes of Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots stated in Art. 3, paragraph 3, according to study specialization.
The student of ILAP is obliged to state required study field for university studies until the end of September of the given academic year, the latest.
2) The content of curriculum is in accordance with the aims of the educational programme and it is based on the requirements of Slovak universities for admission for study.
3) The curriculum includes study subjects according to study specialization of students, and number of lessons in a week and semester during the studies. Curriculum further determines, from which subjects and in which semester the credits are prescribed, the credits and examinations are graded.
4) The curriculum and its changes are under the competence of the head methodologist in cooperation with the accreditation commission of the director of CCE CU.
5) After accomplishment of the studies in case of fulfilment of all study obligations in the programme of Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots for University Studies in the Slovak Republic a student receives a certificate where results achieved from the subjects of the relevant study field and the count of accomplished lessons are stated. In the programme Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies a certificate with the evaluation of the final examination of Slovak language and the count of accomplished lessons is issued. After successful accomplishment of other programmes a certificate of completion of the study programme is issued.
Academic year organization
1) The academic year ordinarily starts on 1 September of a common year and ends on 31 August the following year.
2) The academic year is divided into winter semester, summer semester and the period of principal holiday. The correct timetable of winter and summer semester as well as the date of holiday is appointed at the study programme.
Educational activity and its organization
1) Studies are based on: practices, lectures, seminars and practical exercises.
2) Teaching is arranged by qualified teachers according to required qualification. A particular teacher and the head methodologist are responsible for the fulfilment of the curriculum.
3) Students are divided into particular study groups. The head methodologist of the Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots decides about the division of the students.
4) An application for the change of study specialization is submitted by a student to the director of CCE CU at latest by the end of November (applies to students who study at their own expense). Students who are nominated for study by MESRS SR submit a request for change of the study field at the Ministry.
5) Each study group has a class teacher (Further CT only). CT is submitted by the Program manager of ILAP CCE CU.
Assessment and evaluation forms
1) The evaluation of the study programme is based on continuous assessment throughout the study part of the semester (written tests, semester works, papers, etc.)
2) If a student cannot be present during examination, does not excuse himself/herself or he/she does not bring the particular documents at least 1 day in advance or 24 hours after the date of the particular examination, in written form, electronic form or by phone, he/she is evaluated at the particular form of check by grade failed (FX). In case of repeated absence at the prescribed form of the assessment the Institute can act in accordance with art. 17.
1) Credit is given for active participation at lessons and for fulfilment of all given conditions.
2) Conditions for giving a credit including the continuous assessment will be stated by the teacher in the beginning of the semester.
3) Student to whom the credit was not given may be allowed to fulfil credit
standards by his/her teacher in an exceptional term by regular term of the examination from the given subject.
4) The result of the credit is evaluated as admitted or not admitted.
5) Credit is given in the last week of the semester before the examination period.
1) Student’s knowledge of particular subjects and his ability to attend
university studies in Slovakia are assessed in examinations.
2) Student is only allowed to take examination if he/she is given credit at
3) Examinations take place in examination period. Time schedule of examinations is obligatory.
4) Forms of examination are: written, oral or combined.
5) Oral examination is held before examination board appointed by the Methodologist of the Institute. Oral examination takes 30 minutes maximum.
6) The result of examination is classified by examiner as follows:
excellent (A), very good (B), good (C), satisfactory (D), sufficient (E) and failed (FX). For Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies programme: passed or failed.
100 – 91
Excellent results with minimum mistakes
90 – 81
Above-average standard with few mistakes
80 – 71
Generally good results with larger quantity of mistakes
70 – 61
Acceptable, but with considerable shortcomings
60 – 51
Results fulfil only minimum criteria
50 – 0
A lot of further work is required
7) If a student cannot be present at examination due to serious reasons on given date he/she is obliged to inform his/her examiner at least 1 day in advance who will assign him/her another day.
8) Student’s absence in examination for serious reasons may be excused at the latest three days after a given date of examination when he/she brings particular documents. He/she may submit a written application to the Director of CCE CU to be given an exceptional term.
9) In case of unexcused absence at examination or if a student does not bring particular documents he/she is classified „failed“.
Standards of examinations of particular studies
1) Students of language and academic preparation must present their knowledge according to the study plan of respective subject and requirements of the universities they are preparing for. Presented language competencies must fulfill the descriptors of level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
2) At intensive language preparation for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral studies an applicant presents all language competencies in Slovak language at level B2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
3) An applicant for Testing language competencies in Slovak language must present language skills covered by the characteristic according to particular levels A2, B1, B2, C1, C2 of Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
1) If a student fails examination in winter semester he/she is allowed to continue in study in summer semester
only if he/she was given 2 credits at minimum.
2) 2) If a student fails examinations on a given term, he/she has the right to take two resits in two resit terms (first resit examination, second retake examination) from each subject.
3) The retake must be performed by the end of summer semester of a relevant academic year.
4) If a student fails each retake examination according to paragraph 2 he/she can request in writing for exceptional term of the resit examination. In serious cases the director of CCE CU can permit exceptional term to perform the examination only for one subject, and only in case when the student passes the entrance examination for university studies in the relevant academic year. The request has to be submitted within 10 working days after passing the last term of examination. The extraordinary term must be completed no later than August 31 of the respective academic year.
5) If a student does not justify his/her absence on both resit examinations, he/she loses the right for the exceptional term of the examination.
Interruption and repetition of studies
1) In serious well-founded cases the director of CCE CU can permit study interruption on student´s own request.
2) The director of CCE CU issues permission for study interruption. Permission for study interruption includes permitted period of study interruption and the reasons for interruption.
3) If a student does not start his/her study after permitted period of study interruption he/she is supposed to leave his/her studies. In this case the studies terminate when the permitted period of study interruption ends.
4) A student who has not finished his/her language and academic preparation, or he/she finished it with the result failed, may ask to repeat the studies. The Director of CCE CU may permit the student to repeat the studies on his/her own expenses.
5) When repeating language and academic preparation the student is obliged to participate in lessons and examinations in full extent according to the curriculum.
1) A student’s application on study resignation is submitted in written form to the director of CCE CU. The day it is delivered is supposed to be a resignation day of the student’s studies.
2) In case that a student is absent at lessons for more than 10 calendar days and he/she does not announce the reason for his/her absence in advance this fact will be considered as resignation of studies from student’s quarter.
3) The director of CCE CU sends the written notice to the student about excluding him/her from the studies according to art 13 paragraph 2. The day the director’s decision is issued is considered to be the termination of the studies.
1) Studies in education programme at the Institute are finished successfully once a student has been admitted all credits, and passed all the examinations according to the curriculum with results excellent (A), very good (B), good (C), satisfactory (D), sufficient (E); in the programme of preparation for the bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral studies with the result passed.
2) The day of the regular study conclusion is the day when the last requirement prescribed for regular conclusion of the studies of relevant study programme was fulfilled.
3) Graduates who finished language and academic preparation for university studies or preparation for bachelor’s, master’s and doctoral studies are given the certificate upon completion the given educational program according to art 4 paragraph 5.
4) Graduates of other programmes are given the certificate of completion of respective studies including the information about the duration of studies.
5) Forms of termination of the studies are: proper termination of the studies, leaving the studies and being expelled from the studies.
6) Proper termination of the 5 month/10 month Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies and Evening Course of Slovak Language requires the attendance of minimum 75 % of the extent of lessons of the given programme according to §14 art. 1 law n. 568/2009 coll., as amended, on Lifelong Education.
ACTING IN STUDENTS’ RIGHTS MATTERS AND OBLIGATIONS OF STUDENTS
Rights and obligations of students of ILAP CCE CU
1) Students have rights as follows:
a) to participate in educational programmes of the Institute for Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots, to participate at all lessons according to the relevant study programme, to use consultations and participate in other activities of the Institute, to obtain credits and take examinations;
b) Entitlement of holidays in extent given by the schedule of an academic year;
c) to use classrooms, the library, the PC room and other facilities as well as all lounges of CCE CU.
2) Students are obliged to:
a) attend the lessons in full extent;
b) fulfil their study obligations, not to interrupt the lessons by late arrivals, to obey Study and Examination Regulations of ILAP CCE CU, to excuse their absence at lessons and examinations and to bring particular documents explaining their absence;
c) obey the rules, directives and regulations of the director of CCE CU;
d) protect their health and health of others; protect the environment;
e) protect property of CCE CU against its damage, misuse or robbery;
f) observe good manners;
g) Work out a special task as a compensation for absence at lessons, which can be required by a teacher as a condition for gaining credit (if the absence at the subject is higher than 20 % of the overall absence) or for not fulfilling the continuing conditions for giving the credit.
3) In case of unexcused absence of a student the Institute proceeds according to Art. 17.
Violation of student’s obligations and disciplinary steps
1) If a student breaks the rules of the study regulations or general legal regulations of CU or inner regulations of CCE CU and Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots, his/her act might be regarded as an offence and the student may be given disciplinary action.
2) A student is given disciplinary action for:
a) Repeated unexcused absence at lessons or during assessment forms and for other violation of the obligations introduced in Study and Examination Regulation of Language and Academic Preparation for Foreign Students and Compatriots of CCE CU.
b) violation of good manners in study matters, especially:
● presenting other people’s work as his/her own work or using it or a part of it in his/her own work without quoting the author with the goal to make an impression of own work.
● any form of cheating during oral or written examinations
● falsification or alteration of documents explaining student’s absence at lessons
c) theft or damage of property of the Institute, CCE CU, CU, students, employees, visitors
d) violation of regulations, directives and provisions of the director of CCE CU
e) dishonour of an employee or a student of CU
f) causing public nuisance or violation of good manners
g) aggressive act to a student, employee or a visitor of CU
h) drinking alcohol or taking drugs or for violation of the Law n. 377/2004 C.L. on protection of non-smokers, as amended, at the premises of CU
i) falsification of documents – study documents, cards or the documents required by CCE CU in accordance with general legal regulations.
Disciplinary action forms
1) Disciplinary action forms are:
a) oral warning
b) written reprimand
c) conditional expelling from studies
d) expelling from studies
2) When giving a disciplinary act they take into account seriousness of violation, circumstances, conclusions and behaviour of a student. Disciplinary Board of CCE CU decides a particular disciplinary step.
3) Disciplinary act according to paragraph 1 letters a) or b) are given to a student for not very serious violation. It may be given by the methodologist of LAP CCE CU.
4) Disciplinary act according to paragraph 1 letter c) may be given to a student after previous written reprimand or when his/her unexcused absence on a particular subject is more than 20 % for observed period (applies to students of Language and Academic Preparation and Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies).
5) Absence will be tolerated up to 20 % from all lessons from the beginning of the studies. Later on, one authorised excuse proved by doctor´s confirmation or other official confirmation will be accepted. Cases of ill health will be handled individually. In case of unexcused absences over 20 % and not fulfilling other study obligations the student loses the right for consultation for supplementing the curriculum (applies to students of Language and Academic Preparation and Intensive Language Preparation for Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctoral Studies).
6) In case of serious or repeating violation of obligations or disciplinary offence a student may be expelled from study. He/she can be expelled from study especially if:
a) he/she commits offence repeatedly throughout an academic year and he/she was given a disciplinary act;
b) during the period of conditional expelling he/she commits another offence;
c) he/she commits offence according to art. 16 paragraph 2;
d) he/she has been lawfully convicted for intentional crime;
Decision on expelling from studies, requisites of decision and its delivery
1) The director of CCE CU makes decisions on disciplinary acts according to art. 17 paragraph 1 letters c) and d) and upon recommendation of Disciplinary Board of CCE CU.
2) Decision on disciplinary act is in written form. It contains substantiation and instruction how to ask to review decision. They give reasons for the decision and proofs and their assessment in substantiation. Decision is delivered to the student’s own hands. Requisites on delivering the decision follow the Study Regulations CU art. 35.
3) In decision on conditional expelling from studies they state the period (probation period) and conditions that should be kept by a student if he/she wants them to cancel his/her conditional expelling from study. In case the student keeps the conditions during probation period the director of CCE CU cancels conditional expelling from studies. In case the student does not keep the conditions or he/she commits offence again during probation period the director of CCE CU decides to cancel conditional expelling from studies and he/she decides to expel the student from his/her studies.
4) A student may appeal against the decision of the director of CCE CU on disciplinary act in 8 days since the delivery of the decision. Student’s demand must be addressed to the director of CCE CU who issued the decision and it has dilatory effect.
5) In case the director of CCE CU decides Decision on Disciplinary Act – that is first stage – he might accept student´s demand and he may change or cancel his original decision. In case of changed decision it is possible to ask to judge it again.
6) In case the director of CCE CU does not accept the demand he/she will delegate it to the rector within 7 working days to make the decision. He/she also delegates all necessary documents including his own approach to the case.
7) Rector in the second stage judges the decision of the director of CCE CU, and if it is not in accordance with Law or inner regulations of CU or CCE, he/she will cancel the decision. Otherwise he/she will confirm the decision of the director of CCE CU. Rector might change director’s decision and he might decide about mild disciplinary acts. Rector must present his decision at the latest 30 days since the delivery of request to judge the decision of the director of CCE CU in accordance with paragraph 72 art. 6 Law on Universities.
8) It is not possible to appeal against the rector´s decision. The rector announces his/her decision to the director of CCE CU and returns all the documents of the student.
9) The decision which is not possible to appeal against is lawful.
10) The obligation of the Institute to deliver the decision is met upon the reception of the decision by the student, by day when it is returned as undelivered mail, or if the delivery is circumvented by the student.
COMMON AND CONLCUSION PROVISIONS
1) Payment conditions and other details of relation between a student and CCE CU are stated in Contract Conditions. Contract Conditions is given in attachment n.1 of Study and Examination Regulations ILAP CCE CU.
2) Fees are, in accordance with Contract Conditions of ILAP CCE CU, not refundable, and there is no obligation of full or partial refunds in case of study interruption, study resignation and in case of expelling from studies.
1) Study and Examination Regulations of Language Preparation CCE CU and Study and Examination Regulations of Language and Academic Preparation for Foreigners and Compatriots CCE CU from 1 September 2016 are cancelled since 31 August 2017.
2) These Study and Examination Regulations have come into effect on 1 September 2017.